Mould often grow in places you least suspect and can be a persistent and even costly problem for homeowners. How do you know if your home has mould? Here are 5 signs to look out for:
Moisture and Condensation
Dampness in a home provides a breeding ground for mould. Common areas where mould thrives are bathrooms, toilets, kitchens, and basements where moisture levels tend to be high. If you have rooms with poor ventilation or live in a humid location with higher rainfall, consider getting a dehumidifier to reduce excess moisture and maintain a healthy humidity level in your home.
Musty and Stale Odours
Mould emits an unpleasant smell that is musty or stale. If you notice any persistent strange odours, then you might have a mould problem in your home. Sometimes the mould is not visible or hidden behind walls. If you smell mustiness but can’t seem to visually locate the mould, then you might need a professional to help determine the location and remove the growth.
Plumbing Issues and Water Leaks
If you’ve had previous plumbing issues such as water leaks, overflowing pipes and toilets, or flooding, then there is a possibility your home has mould. Mould can grow underneath flooring and carpet, as well as behind walls if you’ve had a hidden internal leak or flooded floors. Look out for bubbles and cracks beneath painted surfaces, and discolouration of walls, ceilings, or floors.
Health and Respiratory Symptoms
Mould can often trigger allergies and cause a range of symptoms including runny nose, sneezing, watery eyes, and headaches. While this may mimic a common cold, if you notice that your symptoms tend to clear up when you go outside, then you may have a mould problem inside your home. Some mould can be toxic and dangerous, such as the black mould.
Visible Stains and Spots
Mould comes in all shapes, colours and sizes. Common colours include black, brown, green, orange and white, and it may have different textures such as a furry appearance. If you notice unusual patches and stains on your walls, grout, bricks and even pipes that can harbour moisture, then there is a good chance that mould is present.
When to Call a Professional
If you find mould in your home, it is important to remove it thoroughly and completely to stop the spread. Left untreated, it can become costly to remove and negatively impact your health. This is where a professional can make a difference. Wild Water Plumbing are mould specialists and can assess your home for mould issues, we can also help identify the cause to remedy the problem thoroughly.
Get in touch with our team today.